- Adapt your home and lifestyle as your health needs change.
- Identify resources for emotional and social well-being.
- Locate senior housing options.
- Choose Advanced Care Planning.
More complex matters
You might be faced with difficult decisions regarding what to do if a complicated or serious diagnosis has been given. Helping you choose a doctor, specialist, facility, or treatment plan is the cornerstone of a healthcare advocate’s work. Making the best decision often requires a lot of time and research. That’s where I come in.
- Find the right doctor for your situation or diagnosis and identify a Center of Excellence for treatment, special cases or rare conditions.
- Help you determine the goal of an appointment with a physician, prepare questions to ask, assess test results and the physician’s evaluation.
- Accompany you to appointments.
- Help plan for care needs at home or in non-hospital facilities.
- Engage with hospice as needed.
- Check in to make sure you are cared for.
“When I was young, I thought everyone knew about the tunnels connecting the hospitals in the Houston Medical Center. When certain family members became ill, this knowledge came in handy. My role as a patient advocate allows me to use what I’ve learned to benefit others. I have a deep empathy for anyone impacted by serious illness – I’ve lived through it with loved ones. I’m intimately familiar with the stress that comes with an uncertain future, including work, children, finances, distance. I can help. My role is to manage the business side of your life while you attend to what matters most – your health and the people you care about.”